Places to visit in Uttaranchal
Uttarakhand Travel guide presents an overview of the precise geographical position and important tourist destinations of the state. Located in the northern part of India, Uttarakhand formerly known as Uttaranchal is known as the land of Gods since it is adorned with several pilgrim centers of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Henmkund Sahib, Gangotri and Yamunotri.
Ganga, the sacred river in the Hindu mythology, flows through Uttarakhand. Pilgrims generally start their journey from Haridwar, which is centrally located and easily reachable by roadways and railways.
The important places to visit in Uttarakhand include :
- Dehradun which is the capital of Uttarakhand, is one of the oldest Indian cities. Sightseeing in this city comprises places like Robbers’ Cave, Tapkeshwar, Malsi Deer Park and Forest Research Institute.
- Mussoorie is one of the best hill resorts in India. Gun Hill, Kempty Falls, Camel’s Back Road, Lal Tibba and The Jheel are some of places mostly visited by tourists.
- Nainital is a popular lake resort placed at a height of 1,938 meters. Sightseeing in Nainital includes Naini Lake, Naina Peak, Snow View and Hanuman Garhi.
- Ranikhet offers the lush green forests housing attractive wildlife.
- Almora houses many tourist attractions like Bright & Corner, Public Museum, Deer Park, Nanda Devi Museum, Chetai Temple, Simtola. Kausani, a small town provides a breathtaking view of the snow-capped peaks of Trishul, Panchchuli, Nanda Devi, Nandakot, Nanda, Chaukhan and Ghunti.
With Jim Corbett National Park, Valley of Flowers and other parks, the tour to Uttarakhand becomes interesting for the nature lovers.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Uttarakhand is from April to June and September to Mid-November.
Airways, roadways as well as railways connect Uttarakhand with all the parts of the country. Jolly Grant located near Dehradun caters to airlines plying regular flights to and from Uttarakhand. Dehradun, Haridwar and Kathgodam are the important railway stations of the state and connect the state with all the parts of India. NH 58, 73, 74 and 87 connects the state by roadways.